Saturday, May 10, 2008

Our Moms

I thought that on this Mother's Day it would only be fitting if both Dale and I write about our Moms. So, we will each offer thoughts on the impact that these women have had in forming who we have become.



Here's my Dad with me and also my brother, Ronnie, sister, Sharyn and Mom

Ruth Vinson - my Mom

When Brenda told me that she wanted me to write something about my mom for Mother's Day that she would post on her blog, my 1st thought was, "where are my sisters when I need them", or my sons (both are very good writers) or even my wife (also a very good writer). Enough about all of them, here I go in no special order.

THOUGHTS ABOUT MY MOM:
- she has always been there
- she is a great cook
- she loves me
- she is very understanding
- she looks good - always has and still does
- she is pleasant to be around
- she sends care packages
- she is always baking something
- she used to read to me - Silver Chief, Call of the Wild, and My Side of the Mountain - just to name a few
- she is a Godly woman
- she lived out her faith in God for me to see
- she has helped with many a project
- she is willing to do what needs to be done
- she loves my wife and our sons

It now seems that this list could go on forever. The more I think and remember the more things come to mind to be put on the list.
But I guess I would sum it up this way.She is my mother and I am her son. It has been that way for 55 years since she gave me life. The bond that God has given us is a special blessing to us both.

I LOVE YOU MOM - HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY - your son Dale















LaVerne Soerens - My Mom

My Mom was 1 of 9 children born to my Grandparents who were Dutch immigrants. She grew up with very little compared to what I had when young. Somewhere Mom has a picture of her family and to me it seems it should be in John Steinbeck's book, The Grapes of Wrath.
But, though they may have been poor in the eyes of some, they were rich with family and faith. Both have always been an important part of Mom's life. That, in turn has made them a part of mine also.

Life is meant to be celebrated & lived with family: birthdays, Holidays, weddings, illness or deaths. Family is there - to love, to cry with, to laugh with, to come along side and hold you up. It's what families do. It's what I've seen Mom's family do. And in turn, that's what ours does. Each season of the year and of life has it's own celebration to be spent with family.

Mom's faith is lived out daily. Not just when things are hard and she needs something, someone stronger than herself. But, regularly with prayer, church and Bible study. She has set a wonderful example in that. She has recently been battling breast cancer and her faith has given her the strength that she has needed to help her through. Even though her body is scarred, her faith is strong and she continues to trust God to see her through. She is beautiful inside and out.

I love you, Mom!














Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
"Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
Proverbs 31:28-29


Happy Mother's Day to you both! Thanks you so much for all that you do!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Love the pictures. How blessed we are to have our moms.