Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summertime!

One of my favorite movies is "Roman Holiday".  It's a wonderful classic with Gregory Peck and the beautiful Audrey Hepburn. She is Princess Ann, who runs away one night and meets up with Joe Bradley (Peck), who is a newspaper reporter out for a good story. It takes place, of course, in Rome. I love how the story unfolds and their relationship grows. They each carefully tiptoe around who they really are, knowing that if the truth were fully known the relationship would end. It's a story of love and laughter, and learning what is really important and of how once we know what really matters - it affects our choices.

Now,  you might be asking, "What does that have to do with Summertime?"

Well...

At the end of the movie, when the Princess is back on "duty", she is asked by a reporter, "Which of the cities visited, did Your Highness enjoy the most?"

She begins with the answer that was prompted to her by one of her generals. It was apparently the answer that she had been trained to reply with. Then... she shows her heart.

"Each in it's own way, was unforgettable. It would be difficult....Rome!
By all means, Rome. I will cherish my visit here in memory as I shall live."


There it is!  Let's just change the wording a little.

Brenda, which season do you enjoy the most?
"Each in it's own way, is unforgettable.  It would be difficult....Summer!  By all means Summer!"
I do love all of the Seasons that we get to enjoy here in the Midwest. I get excited about different things in each of them.
But, Summer, by all means Summer!

With working in a school district, I have the Summer off. 
Two and one-half months of Summer!
I usually have my "to do" list, but I don't let that bother me too much.  :)

I love the lazy mornings...
being able to stay up late...
having time to read...
enjoying our pool...
vacation time with the family...
time to evaluate involvement in ministries...
putz...
work on projects...
time to weed in the flowerbed...
or not...

Shasta Daisy
Asian Lily

Blanket flower
Rose - of some kind
   
or time to sit and enjoy a cool drink in the screen porch.


If you haven't seen the movie,  "buy all means" do!

And enjoy your Summertime!










No comments: