Saturday, October 20, 2007

When Cancer Pays a Visit

I could tell from her voice in the message which she left me on my cell phone that the test results were positive. She tried to sound upbeat, but there was something different... something that let me know that all was not well. I find it ironic that in October - which is breast cancer awareness month - my Mom gets diagnosed with it. It is in its very early stage, so the prognosis is good. She'll find out more on Mon. after she meets with her dr. and they schedule the surgery.

On the morning of the biopsy I was reading Ps. 116. Verse 7 states, "Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you." I sent that verse to Mom. You see she is not new to the word cancer. Ten years ago she was diagnosed with a different type of cancer and went through surgery at that time.
Just hearing the word, "cancer", has an affect on me - and my family. With it comes varying amounts of fear, change, physical pain & uncertainty. But, it also brings the reminder that "the Lord has been good".

I find that it's easy to live life when all is well. But, I know that it's through the difficult times that we grow closer to God. Just because I am a Christ follower, it doesn't mean that I'm spared the hardships of life. James 1:2 says, "Count it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds...". He said "Whenever" not "if" we face trials.
I love the song by Mercy Me called "Bring The Rain". Here are some of the words.


"Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings you glory.
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise you
Jesus, bring the rain.

I am yours regardless of
the clouds that may loom above
because You are much greater than my pain.
You have made a way for me
by suffering Your destiny
So tell me, what's a little rain
So I pray,

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory.
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain."

God, help Mom, help me, not to fear the rain.

No comments: