Friday, July 04, 2008

Freedom!



Last Sunday afternoon we spent some time going through a foot locker filled with items from WW II. The locker belongs to Dale’s mom and dad, Ed & Ruth Vinson. Dale’s sister, Lori, and husband, Gary and son, Peter, were there also. We spent a few hours learning more about that time in history through the eyes of 2 people who lived it. Ed and Ruth actually met in Japan near the end of the war. Ruth was a nurse on a U.S. Army base and Eddie was a bombardier in the Air Force. He was stationed in the Philippians and then at Tokugawa, Japan. There were many photos of his train ride through Japan near the seaport of Hiroshima. It was obvious that they were riding right through the area demolished by the atomic bomb dropped on August 6, 1945.

I recently finished reading “Victory in the Pacific” by Albert Marrin. It is a short book following each step of the war in the Pacific starting with the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It's not the typical book that I would pick up to read, but, I am so glad that I did. Then to have this foot locker to search through was a real treasure. Lori and I were busy writing names and places on the back of photos so that those memories won't be forgotten.

It is hard for me to imagine the number of lives that WW II took. It was the most costly war in terms of human life ever. One source stated that in total 72 million lives were lost. In “Victory in the Pacific”, is said that the United States used the atomic bomb which “killed thousands to save millions.”

On this Fourth of July I am mindful of those who died or served in the armed forces for our country’s freedoms and for the freedoms of others. We are celebrating our country's independence day, but we could not be celebrating that without the sacrifice of the men and women through out the centuries.



My Grandpa Kruis was a cook in WWI. Dale and I have several uncles who also served in WWII or the Korean war. Right now my nephew, Daniel Soerens, is serving in the Army in Kirkuk, Iraq.



So today, I don’t want to get caught up with what’s wrong with America – be it gas prices, inflation, politicians, courts…

We, as Americans, have much to be thankful for.

Today, to those who have served or are presently serving our country, I want to say THANK YOU!!
Thank you for your sacrifices,
-for your love for this country
-for being willing and able to fight for us
-for being away from family and friends that love you

May God bless you richly, may you be so aware of His presence. That in the safe times and the dangerous times you will seek His wisdom, trust His hand, remember that He loves you.

And so do I!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!

Anonymous said...

Well Antie Brenda, as a soldier serving in the Army today, I myself should be the one thanking you. Without citizens like yourself, us soldiers would not be able to accomplish our missions. With that said, I thank you, and everyone else who has supported troops, so very very much! A soldier is nothing without the support of a loved one.