Saturday, July 12, 2008

Oops!

So the conversation went something like this:

Me: Something ate off my plants.
Dale: Where?
Me: In the berm by the wooden thing that you made. I didn't spray them and now something has eaten them off.


pause....

Dale: I thought they were weeds.
Me: What??
Dale: I was weeding and I thought that they were weeds so I pulled them out.
Me: Don't you remember, I planted morning glory seeds there?
Dale: No, but, they still might be in the bucket unless I already threw them down the hill.


Well, they still were in the bucket. So out I went with my wilting plants to hopefully restore them back to life. I did need to thin them out, so at least that's now done.

Oops! again.
Dale has started smoking meats on our grill. Last week he did salmon and it was wonderful. Today he is doing a pork tenderloin. Well, the meat needed to marinade in the refrigerator with the "rub" on. When he went to get the meat out he noticed that it had leaked over the shelf and down into the drawer and under it. Well, at least now most of the frig is clean.

Oops! X's 3
Just now, Dale came in and said, "I thought that you were coming out swimming."
"I am, I'll be right there."
"Well, I'm done. I was in for 1/2 hour wondering if you were coming."



There will always be things in life that take us by surprise. These are little things. But, if we let them, they could really bother us. It's in the "oops" times that we show where our hearts really are.

Surprise!!
Life isn't all about me.

It is about me living my life in a way that honors God.
There is a song by Mercy Me entitled "So Long Self" that says it so well. It talks about getting rid of self and having God in charge.

Here's the chorus:

So long, self
Well, it's been fun, but I have found somebody else
So long, self
There's just no room for two
So you are gonna have to move
So long, self
Don't take this wrong but you are wrong for me, farewell
Oh well, goodbye, don't cry
So long, self


It isn't all about me - "no room for two" - it needs to be God living through me.
So, in the "oops" times. Stop and consider, does it really matter? Is it really that big of a deal?

Usually it isn't.

No comments: